Dear Christian Friend:
This is your application for membership in our church. We are grateful for your confidence in us and trust that as you become a member you will assume a place of active Christian service in our body. Please be aware that completion of Discover Brookside, our membership class, and being baptized as a believer are two steps required in the membership process. These steps should be taken before completing a membership application. A person must be at least 14 years old to become a member. After you have submitted your completed application, you will be contacted personally by a pastor and given an explanation as to remaining aspects of the membership process. Until that time, our pastors and elders are ready to assist you in dealing with any spiritual need you may have. It is our prayer that together we may unitedly serve the Lord as members of our church family.
OUR STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative word of God. It is God-breathed, and therefore, without error in the original documents. The Bible is to be the Christian’s guide in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (II Corinthians 13:14; Ephesians 2:18).
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His return in power and glory (Matthew 1:20-23; I Corinthians 15:1-7; Acts 1:10-11; I Thessalonians 4:14-18).
- We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe, and only such as receive Jesus Christ are born of the Holy Spirit, and thus become children of God (I Peter 1:18-19; Acts 4:12; John 1:12, Ephesians 2:4-5).
- We believe regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary for the salvation of lost and sinful man (Titus 3:4-7; 1 Corinthians 12:13).
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is able to live a godly life (John 16:7-14; Galatians 5:16-26).
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved to the resurrection of life, the lost to the resurrection of damnation (Daniel 12:1-2; Revelation 20:11-15).
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 12:4-5; John 17:21-23).
- We believe in the local church, her witness to the whole world, the appropriate use of spiritual gifts, and the observance of the ordinances of baptism and the Lord's Supper (Matthew 28:19-20; I Corinthians 12-14; Romans 6:4; I Corinthians 11:25-29).
THE BROOKSIDE MEMBERSHIP COVENANT
At Brookside we never ask our members to do more than the Bible clearly teaches. We only expect our members to do what the Bible expects every Christian to do. These responsibilities are as follows:
I WILL PROTECT THE UNITY OF MY CHURCH
- By acting in love toward other members
- By refusing to gossip
- By following the leaders
- By refraining from joining oath-bound organizations
Romans 15:19, Ephesians 4:29
I WILL SHARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MY CHURCH
- By praying for its growth
- By inviting the unchurched to attend
- By warmly welcoming those who visit
1 Thessolonians 1:2, Luke 14:23, Romans 15:7
I WILL SERVE THE MINISTRY OF MY CHURCH
- By discovering my gifts and talents
- By being equipped to serve by my pastors
- By developing a servant’s heart
1 Peter 4:10, Philippians 2:3-4,7
I WILL SUPPORT THE TESTIMONY OF MY CHURCH
- By attending faithfully
- By living a godly life
- By giving regularly
Philippians 1:27, 1 Corinthians 16:2
APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP